Are you shipping from China to Canada? It might feel overwhelming if you don’t know the procedure. But since you’ve come to the right place, we’ll guide you accordingly.
This guide explores the basics of shipping from China to Canada, including the freights to use. You’ll also learn how to find the best freight forwarder in China.
Let’s get started!
1. Types of Shipping from China to Canada
When exporting or importing items from China to Canada, find a reliable freight solution. Notably, there are three primary means of shipping from China to Canada, namely:
- Air freight shipping
- International express shipping
- Ocean freight shipping
Now, let’s explore the three methods of shipping from China to Canada.
1. Air Freight Shipping from China to Canada
Air freight is generally faster than sea freight, even though it is more costly. When you ship goods by air, you can rest easy knowing that you’ll receive them in a few days.
At Winsky Freight, we offer international air freight services from China to Canada to care for your shipping needs. Our air freight services are fast, safe, and efficient.
We’ve established a good rapport with several international air carriers that offer air transportation services from China to major airports in Canada.
Note that our air freight rates are competitive. We look for the best shipping routes with a determination to offer you the best prices and shortest waiting time.
2. Ocean Freight Shipping from China to Canada
Are you considering shipping your goods by ocean or sea freights? At Winsky Freight, our ocean freight shipping from China to Canada is affordable, reliable, and safe.
We specialize in LCL sea cargo transportation and ocean freight forwarding services from China ports to Canada ports. You can ship any LCL cargo at affordable rates.
With our LCL shipping services, we’ll dispatch your goods as soon as they get ready, no matter their size. We won’t wait until you get a full container to release the goods.
Our ocean freight services cover booking, warehousing, loading, transit, inspections, customs declaration, and insurance services. We also offer consolidation services.
3. Express Shipping from China to Canada
Express shipping is a door-to-door delivery service offered by prominent couriers such as DHL, UPS, EMS, FedEx, and TNT. It has many benefits over air and sea freights:
Here are some of the advantages of express shipping from China to Canada.
The fastest way to ship commercial goods from China to Canada
- It’s a door-to-door service, meaning it doesn’t involve third-party logistics
- Quoted prices are all-inclusive; the final quote covers taxes and customs duties
- Ideal for small items that need to be transported as fast as possible
Note that you’ll enjoy all the benefits of express shipping at a cost. It is the most costly way to ship goods from China to Canada, considering how fast you’ll receive the goods.
When considering express shipping from China to Canada, work with Winsky Freight, a reliable freight forwarder in China.
We offer international express freight forwarding services, such as EMS, DHL, FedEx, TNT, and UPS, to small and large companies.
Our worldwide agent network is highly reliable as it allows us to deliver overseas goods faster. We’ll take care of your shipment from suppliers to your warehouse or doorstep.
2. Incoterms for Shipping from China to Canada
Incoterms are the rules and regulations that allow importers and exporters to pinpoint each other’s responsibilities when shipping commercial goods.
With the incoterms, both parties can identify situations where they’ll share transportation risks and costs. Incoterms also pinpoints who is responsible for customs clearance.
Incoterms are essential tools in every shipping process. Whenever you’re shipping from China to Canada, a freight forwarder will use incoterms to ease the shipping process.
What are the Different Types of Incoterms in China?
The most common incoterms used by many people to ship goods from China to Canada include Ex Works (EXW) and Free on Board (FOB).
EX Works (EXW)
Sellers fulfill their delivery obligation by making the goods available at their premises for the buyer. The seller isn’t responsible for clearing the items for export.
The buyer should clear the goods for shipment and arranging for carriage and insurance. With this incoterm, the seller has minimum obligations during shipments.
Free on Board (FOB)
The seller’s obligation ends when the goods pass across the ship’s rail at the specified port of shipment. The buyer assumes the risks of loss or damage from that point.
The sellers in China must clear the commercial goods for export. Note that this incoterm is only applicable for ocean freight shipping from China to Canada.
Other incoterms used in China include:
- Free Carrier (FCA)
- Free Alongside Ship (FAS)
- Cost and Freight (CFR)
- Carriage Paid To (CPT)
- Cost, Insurance, and Freight (CIF)
- Carriage and Insurance Paid To (CIP)
- Delivered at Place (DAP)
- Delivered at Terminal (DAT)
- Delivered Duty Paid (DDP)
3. Import Rules and Regulations in Canada
Before you ship goods from China to Canada, you need to acquaint yourself with all the import rules and regulations in Canada.
Here are the requirements you should know.
Importation Requirements in Canada
Importing into Canada can be very easy and profitable if you fulfill all the requirements. If you plan to import commercial goods, you must first get a Canadian business license.
You can’t start importing goods into Canada without getting accredited by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to do so. Failing to acquire a license may land you problems.
Here are the other requirements to import commercial goods into Canada.
- Import business number from the CRA
- Value of duty for the goods being imported
- Specifications of the goods you plan to import
- Labeling and marking of goods as required by the CRA
- Method of shipping you intend to use to import the goods
- Invoices, certificates of origin, and other essential documents
Restricted Importations in Canada
When you plan to import restricted goods into Canada, you must acquire the necessary permits and approvals before importing them.
Get the documents from the relevant Canadian agencies to find more information regarding your imports.
Here are some of the restricted importations in Canada.
- Alcoholic products
- Apparel and textiles
- Endangered species
- Explosives, flares, and fireworks
- Foods and hazardous products
- Prescription medicines
- Some steel and agricultural products
Prohibited Importations in Canada
Prohibited goods are those that the Government of Canada has banned from getting imported into the country.
When you import prohibited items into Canada, customs may turn away the goods at the ports or hold them. You wouldn’t want that.
Here are some of the prohibited importations in Canada.
- Firearms and weapons
- Pornographic and obscene materials
- Counterfeit products
- Second-hand mattresses
- Tobacco and tobacco products
- White phosphorus matches
- Coins and cash
- Medical samples
Product Safety Requirements in Canada
When shipping goods from China into Canada, you must ensure that they comply with Canada’s safety requirements. Canada prohibits the importation of unsafe products.
The Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA) controls all consumer goods shipped into Canada for commercial purposes. You have to comply with its regulations.
The CCPSA prohibits importers from importing consumer products that pose risks to human health and safety. You must obtain the safety information for your imports.
Another act that ensures the safety of imported goods is the Consumer Packaging and Labeling Act. It prohibits importers from misrepresenting goods that mislead consumers.
For instance, Health Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) issues labels that importers must appropriately use on goods imported into the country.
The two authorized Canadian agencies require you to appropriately label the commercial consumer goods before leaving China for import into Canada.
Note that the labels must indicate the net quantity of the items, which must be in metric forms, such as weight for solid goods and volume for gas or liquid products.
Most importantly, the labels must be bilingual: French and English. If shipping the goods to a French-speaking province like Quebec, give more priority to the French language.
Import Taxes and Duties in Canada
When shipping from China to Canada, duties, and taxes should be the first factors to consider. You must pay GST and customs duty before importing goods into the country.
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) collects import taxes and duties. Since imports have different taxes and duties, you need to know what to pay for your goods.
Any product imported to Canada is subject to a duty charge called Goods and Services Tax (GST). You’ll pay a 5% GST tax on the total value of goods imported into Canada.
Note that the CBSA will calculate the duties you owe based on the current value of the goods in Canadian currency.
Tax and duty rates vary depending on the country of origin and the types of goods you intend to import.
Other rates such as excise taxes and excise duties may also apply, depending on the goods’ nature or their value. For instance, luxury items may be subject to excise tax.
You don’t have to pay the GST for imports worth CAN$20 or less. Gifts worth CAN$60 from friends and family members living abroad are exempt from the tariff charges.
Documents for Shipping from China to Canada
Now that you know some of the restrictions and requirements for importing into Canada from China, you need to obtain all the necessary importation documents.
Here are the documents that the CBSA requires you to have to ship goods to Canada.
- Arrival Notice
- Bill of Lading
- Canada Customs Invoice
- Cargo Control Document (CCD)
- Commodity specific documentation
- Customs Bond
- Import permits and certificates
- Packing List
- Shipper’s Export Declaration (SED)
4. How to Import Goods from China to Canada?
Incredibly, you know all the documents you must acquire when shipping goods from China to Canada. So what next!
Here is a step-by-step guide for importing goods from China to Canada.
Step 1: Obtain a Business Number from the CRA
Before you ship commercial goods from China to Canada, you’ll have to get a Business Number (BN) from the Canada Revenue Agency.
You can obtain the BN from the CRA in a few minutes, as the account is free of charge. To get the Business Number, visit the CRA’s Business Registration Online.
Step 2: Apply for an Import Permit/License in Canada
Once you get the business number from the CRA, you need to get the relevant licenses and permits required to import goods into Canada.
According to provisions in the Export and Import Permits Act, the Trade Controls and Technical Barrier Bureau issues permits and certificates to import goods into Canada.
Step 3: Identify the Goods you intend to Import from China
Gather much information about the goods you plan to import, like product composition. You can even provide product samples whenever possible.
The product information will help the CBSA determine the goods’ tariff classification numbers. It is this number that will determine the duty rate to be applied to the goods.
Besides accurately describing the goods you intend to import into Canada, you have to ensure that they are legal in the country. Are the goods restricted or prohibited?
Step 4: Acquire Special Permits for Restricted Imports in Canada
Canada restricts the importation of some commodities into the country, such as alcoholic beverages and textiles. To import the items, you must obtain a special permit.
Confirm if the goods you plan to import are subject to restrictions. The CBSA provides a list of commodities that require special permits to be imported into Canada.
Step 5: Hire a Reputable Freight Forwarder to Ship the Goods to Canada
It’s essential to work with a reputable freight forwarder from China to Canada. A freight forwarder will act as a link between you and the carrier of your choice.
The good news is freight forwarders provide a vast range of freight services, such as shipping advice to shippers. They also offer packaging and warehousing services.
If you have to ship goods from China to Canada by yourself, you’ll have to deal with many companies to get your cargo in Canada.
You’ll also consider factors like the shipping methods you plan to use, the safety of the goods, customs, and documentation handling. Doing all that can be very overwhelming.
By hiring a freight forwarder to ship your goods, you’ll only deal with one company to ship goods from China to Canada. You’ll enjoy high-quality services and save money.
Winsky Freight is an excellent example of a reliable freight forwarder in China. We offer 30 days of free warehousing and competitive quotes to help you save more money.
Step 6: Find a Licensed Customs Broker to Take You Through the Process
If you are considering working with a customs broker, hire a reputable agent to help you facilitate the shipping process. Customs brokers carry out customs-related tasks.
A licensed customs broker will help you get the relevant customs documents required by the CBSA. They also arrange payments for custom duties and taxes.
Step 7: Find Out the Canada Import Duties for Goods from China
Now that you know the import taxes and duties in Canada, you need to determine if your imports are subject to Goods and Services Tax (GST), excise duty, or excise tax.
The type and value of your goods will influence the amount of money you should pay for taxes. For instance, the 5% GST is payable for most goods imported into Canada.
5. Air Shipping from China to Canada
If you are looking for a faster way to transport cargo from China to Canada, consider air freight shipping. Your goods will get delivered to Canada in less than a week.
Note that air freight is the most suitable shipping mode for perishable and high-value goods. But since it is a bit costly, we recommend it for light and small shipments.
Before choosing the air freight shipping mode, identify the origin airports in China and the destination airports in Canada. That will help to ensure a smooth shipping process.
Now, let’s look at the major airports in both China and Canada.
Major Airports in China to Canada
As the world’s number one exporter, China is home to several international airports. It’s vital to select an airport that guarantees your cargo’s safety, especially during delays.
That said, the following are the major airports in China to Canada.
- Beijing Capital International Airport
- Changsha Huanghua International Airport
- Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport
- Dalian Zhoushuizi International Airport
- Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport
- Hangzhou Xiao Shan International Airport
- Hong Kong International Airport
- Kunming Changshui International Airport
- Qingdao Liuting International Airport
- Shanghai Pudong International Airport
- Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport
- Shijiazhuang Zhengding International Airport
- Tianjin Binhai International Airport
- Wuhan Tianhe International Airport
- Xiamen Gaoqi International Airport
- Xi’an Xianyang International Airport
While the airports listed above can be your origin airport when shipping to Canada, they are present in different cities. So, you need to select wisely to avoid inconveniences.
Major Airports in Canada
Now that you know the main airports in China, it is vital to be conversant with the international airports in Canada.
So, what are the places your cargo can land in Canada?
Here are the main airports in Canada from China.
- Calgary International Airport
- Montreal-Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport
- Toronto Pearson International Airport
- Vancouver International Airport
The other international airports that can receive shipments from China include:
- Billy Bishop Toronto city international airports
- Edmonton international airport
- Halifax Stanfield international airport
- Ottawa MacDonald Cartier international airport
- Winnipeg James Armstrong international airport
You can collect your cargo from China at any of the airports listed above. But before you select any of the airports, confirm if they handle the goods you plan to import.
6. Sea Shipping from China to Canada
Sea freight is the most common and cheapest shipping from China to Canada. That’s because it’s the cheapest way to ship goods weighing 500 kilograms and above.
Shipping heavy and large items from China to Canada by Air freight can be very costly. And the best way to reduce the costs is by selecting the cheapest shipping mode, like sea freight.
You’ll save more money when you opt for a reliable sea freight shipping service. It gets even better when you are conversant with the ports to ship the goods from and to.
That said, let’s look at the main seaports in both China and Canada.
Major Seaports in China to Canada
So what are the seaports that offer international shipping services in China to Canada?
As you select the seaport of origin in China, consider the shipping distance.
But why should you do that?
The shipping distance will influence the cost of sea freight significantly.
Since the distance from China to Canada is very long, it makes more sense to use seaports that offer the shortest distance between the two countries.
We recommend that you use the following seaports to ship goods from China.
- Dalian seaport
- Hong Kong seaport
- Port of Shenzhen
- Port of Ningbo
- Qingdao seaport
- Shanghai seaport
- Tianjin port
- Xiamen seaport
Note that these are not the only seaports in China but are the best for shipping from China to Canada. They have modern facilities and advanced cargo handling equipment.
Major Seaports in Canada
Canada also has several seaports that allow the entry of goods from China. However, the seaports are relatively smaller than those in China.
While there are over 100 seaports in Canada, we recommend the following.
- Port of Halifax
- Port Metro Vancouver
- Port of Montreal
- Port of Prince Rupert
The four seaports boast large container terminals and improved security surveillance.
You’ll rest easy knowing that your cargo is safe upon arrival in the ports.
Sea Shipping Companies from China to Canada
Choosing the best carrier to ship your goods is as vital as selecting the best seaport.
That said, consider choosing the carrier that can fulfill all your shipping needs.
So, which shipping companies offer sea freight shipping from China to Canada?
For reliable shipping services from China to Canada, consider these companies:
- APL: The America President Lines offer scheduled shipping services between Asia and parts of North America.
- COSCO: The China Ocean Shipping Company is a popular shipping company for ferrying goods from China to Canada.
- Hapag Lloyd: This German shipping company offers competitive shipping rates for goods leaving China for your preferred destination in Canada.
- Maersk Line: This is the largest container shipping company worldwide. It offers safe, reliable, and fast shipping services from China to Canada.
MSC: Mediterranean Shipping Company is a Swiss-Italian international shipping company operating in major seaports worldwide, including China and Canada.
7. Express Shipping from China to Canada
If you want to ship goods from China to Canada fast and affordably, consider express shipping from China. It’s also known as courier shipping.
Express shipping is a form of air freight, but the main difference is that express shipping services quickly process goods and deliver them to your destination faster.
As the fastest and simplest shipping mode, express shipping is ideal for goods weighing below 500 kilograms. Shipping over 1000 kilograms can be very costly.
You can also track your shipments at any time.
Courier Shipping Companies from China to Canada
To maximize the benefits of express shipping services, select the best courier company to fulfill your needs. That’s because there are many express shipping companies.
So, which companies offer reliable international express shipping services?
Consider the following companies for safe delivery of packages.
How to Select the Best Courier Company to Canada?
With many courier companies available, selecting the best one can sometimes be tricky, especially when you don’t know the factors to consider.
Here are the features of the best express shipping company.
- Offers reliable shipping schedules
- Provides competitive rates
- Have adequate facilities
- Employs professional staff
- Understands the customs procedures
When shopping around, ensure that the courier company you select has all the qualities listed above. You’ll rest easy assured that your items are safe.
8. Amazon Shipping from China to Canada
With the unprecedented growth in e-commerce businesses, Amazon FBA shipping from China to Canada has become popular. Why should you choose Amazon FBA shipping?
Benefits of Amazon FBA Shipping
Amazon FBA shipping is an excellent way to ship products directly to customers without worrying about the shipping or handling procedure.
It’s also an incredible way to lower the competitive advantage of big companies that sell through Amazon, helping you scale your business and boost income.
The Amazon FBA shipping program can also be beneficial if you don’t have enough storage space for goods. Amazon can store your products on site.
However, shipping from china to amazon FBA Canada may not be as easy as it seems if you don’t understand the process.
Let’s find out how it works!
How does Amazon FBA Shipping Works?
Most Amazon sellers usually source their products from China because they are cheaper and readily available in large quantities.
You only need to select your products of choice and where specifically you want to ship them into Canada. An Amazon FBA shipping agent from China to Canada will help you.
You have to do everything the right way, from sourcing the products to booking your shipping space. Most importantly, select a reliable freight forwarder like Winsky Freight.
However, some Canadians entrust suppliers to ship their goods directly to their Amazon addresses as this option seems more convenient than working with freight forwarders.
The truth is, suppliers at Amazon will still have to look for a Chinese freight forwarder to ship your goods. You’ll pay hefty fees and get a slow response for your goods’ status.
To leverage the shipping costs and ensure a smooth shipping process, select a reliable freight forwarding company of your choice.
When shipping to Amazon FBA Canada, you can use either sea freight or air freight, depending on the size and volume of your goods.
For urgent deliveries, consider air freight over sea freight because it offers fast and reliable Amazon shipping from China to Canada. Delays are minimal.
Why Winsky Freight is the Best Amazon Freight Forwarder in China?
As the best Amazon freight forwarder in China, Winsky Freight can help you ship goods from China to the Amazon FBA warehouse of your choice in Canada.
AT Winsky Freight, we help ease the stress that usually accompanies shipping items to Amazon fulfillment centers. By hiring us, you don’t need to worry about anything.
We ensure that your shipment meets all Amazon’s quality, packaging, and labeling requirements. You can rest assured that your goods will reach their destination safely.
We’ll help you handle your import customs clearance and taxes. Contact us if you need help with your shipping from China to Amazon FBA Canada at affordable costs.
9. What is the Shipping Cost from China to Canada?
How much does shipping from China to Canada costs? Cost is one factor that you must always consider before importing or exporting your goods from China.
The cost of shipping varies depending on the shipping mode, with air freights being the most expensive. Factors such as location and size of goods can also affect the costs.
Factors that affect the Costs of Shipping from China to Canada
Well, shipping your cargo from China to Canada involves particular factors that affect the overall cost. So how much does shipping from china to Canada cost?
Here are the factors to look at when determining the shipping cost from China to Canada.
- Shipping Distance: The shipping distance will significantly affect the shipping cost. And honestly, it’s a long way from China to Canada, making it costly.
- Size and Weight of Cargo: Shipping large-sized goods tend to be costlier than light ones. Each carrier has size and weight limitations for the goods they ship.
- Delivery Times: While the distance can influence delivery times, air freights and express deliveries are usually more costly than sea freight due to fast delivery.
- Surcharges: These are the additional costs incurred on top of the base rate. If the shipment requires more effort, time, and paperwork, you’ll have to pay more
- Dimensional Weight: This refers to an actual pricing technique that considers the size and dimensions of an item to determine the shipping cost.
- Taxes and Duties: When shipping from China to Canada, your shipment will be subject to taxes and duties. Consult your carrier for more details on the taxes.
Tips for Keeping down the Shipping Costs from China to Canada
If you find the shipping from china to Canada too expensive, look for ways to save money. Thankfully, we’ve prepared a few tips to help you reduce the shipping cost.
Here are the tips for finding the cheapest shipping from China to Canada.
- Compare the shipping rates between various shipping companies
- Ship your goods during off-peak when the shipping prices are low
- Review your shipping options and select one that’s within your budget
- Book your shipping space early to receive the discounts offered by carriers
- Don’t leave large shipments with the supplier for long as that may be costly
- Work with a freight forwarder that offers cheap shipping, like Winsky Freight
- Take full advantage of the suppliers’ perks, such as discounts and free deliveries
10. How long is shipping from China to Canada?
What’s the shipping time from China to Canada? The transit time for your goods will depend on cargo size, location, and shipment season.
This table illustrates the shipping time from China to Canada for every shipping mode.
||Port to Port
||Door to Door
||4 – 7 days
||6 – 13 days
|Sea Freight (LCL)
||20 – 35 days
||45 – 55 days
|Sea Freight (FCL)
||18 – 32 days
||40 – 50 days
Note: Express shipping is usually a door-to-door delivery and can take 1- 4 days.
Factors Affecting the Shipping Time from China to Canada
The shipping time is the duration a consignment takes to reach the intended destination.
Well, everyone is looking for shipping companies that can deliver their shipments in good time.
However, many factors can influence the shipping time, including the seasons for shipping: peak season and low season.
During peak seasons, many goods need to get shipped from China to Canada.
That will tighten the shipping space, lengthening the waiting time for your goods to get shipped.
So, booking your shipping space in advance or during low seasons will save shipping time.
11. How to Find a Reliable Freight Forwarder in China?
Now, you know the factors that can affect shipping time and costs, but you cannot ship your goods.
Well, consider working with a reliable freight forwarder from China to Canada. Freight forwarders have good relations with most shipping and logistics service companies.
Should you select a freight forwarder in China or Canada? Well, working with a forwarder in any of the two nations has unique risks and opportunities.
Thankfully, a Chinese freight forwarder will offer you more opportunities and a few or no risks. They understand China market more than the forwarders operating in Canada.
Factors to Consider to Find a Reputable Freight Forwarder in China
We all know how challenging choosing a freight forwarder can be when you don’t know what to look for during the search. Here are the factors to consider.
- Forwarder’s Credentials: Does the Chinese government license the freight forwarder? A business license assures you that the company is legal.
- Cargo Tracking Systems: A good forwarder has an effective cargo tracking system to update your shipment progress in real-time.
- Forwarder’s Official Website: Visit the freight forwarder’s official website to look for the necessary information about their services and costs.
- Insurance Plan: Does the freight forwarding company has a good insurance plan? An insurance plan ensures that you get compensated in case of damages.
Having known the factors, you don’t need to search further than Winsky Freight. We are the most reliable and reputable freight forwarding company in China.
We understand the shipping industry both in China and in Canada. With our help, you can enjoy better shipping prices and faster delivery services.
12. How to Ship From China to Canada with Winsky Freight?
Shipping from China into Canada might seem challenging, but it’s not when you work with Winsky Freight. We’ll take you through the entire process if you do the following:
- Give us your supplier’s contact information before the goods are ready. Such details include their phone number and email address.
- Alternatively, give the supplier our contact information. When we get into contact, we’ll arrange the pickup from the supplier to our shipping warehouse.
- Please remember to ask the suppliers to label your name or company on your cartons or cargo. They should also provide the commercial invoice that has your delivery information for shipping and the declaration information.
- Once the goods arrive in our warehouse, we will check their exact weights and dimensions and confirm them with you.
- We’ll arrange the shipping invoice for payment confirmation.
- To ship the goods by air/sea freight, we’ll arrange for export customs clearance then send you the freight tracking number and tracking website.
- Once the goods arrive at the intended airport or seaport in Canada, you or your agent can finish the import custom and duty. If the shipping is DDP (Delivery Duty Paid), our overseas agent in Canada will finish the import custom tax for you.
Once the customs clearance is finished, you can pick up the goods from the airport/seaport. For DDP shipping, our overseas agent in Canada will deliver the goods to the local UPS that will finally deliver them to your Canada address.
Conclusion: Ship Your Goods from China to Canada Affordably
Shipping from China to Canada can be effortless and affordable when you do it the right way, such as hiring a reliable freight forwarder like Winsky Freight.
All our clients trust the services we offer when shipping from China to Canada, and you should be no exception.